Monday, March 14, 2011

Introduction to the 12-part Series "Americans Like the Taste of Snake Oil"

Americans are being fed snake oil in the form of economic fallacies, and they like the taste so much they keep going back for more. Why? The answer is simple. They have accepted, as truth, the lie of the “free lunch.”

The reality is, as long as people can continue to perceive that they are receiving benefits and, at the same time, think somebody else is paying for them, they are quite happy to swallow the snake oil.
The people who consume the snake oil are blind to the fact that, while they are enjoying the so-called free lunch, not only the money of others, but their own money, is being stolen.

This has to tell you that they don’t mind engaging in theft as long as it doesn’t look like they are doing the stealing. (Maybe that reflects that there may be a little larceny in everybodys heart.) Certain terms come to my mind, like: Out of Sight, Out of Mind; and Receiving Stolen Property. But, on with the show.

Last year, I blogged a 20-part series called “Conversation with Henry”. It did not get many great reviews. In fact, it did not get many reviews. Those who did provide reviews said that the title was “old fashioned” and “who cares about this guy, Henry, anyway, whoever he is?”

Further, I was told I needed to “adjust” the content (i.e., “dumb it down”). That wasn’t my first choice. I had figured I would just move on. On the other hand, I thought the reviewers might just be right and, maybe it would be worthwhile to give it another shot. So, I did.

The result is a new series called, “Americans Like the Taste of Snake Oil.” Each part is only one page long.

The reader should understand that my primary purpose in providing the information is not to change the minds of believers of the fallacies. That is probably expecting too much.

So, what is my primary purpose? Simply, to give those who do not believe in the fallacies some supplementary, cogent arguments to mount when somebody tries to lay a fallacy on them. It is not rocket science, so that shouldn’t be too hard.

Comments on the series are not only welcomed, they are earnestly solicited. I hope the reader will enjoy them, and find something of value in them. Detractors are no less welcome to make their comments than boosters. Whichever you are, please let your presence be known.

No comments: